Every college major has its staples. Something, be it a diagram, a picture, a feeling, that’s familiar to all who studied that in college. As a communications major, I’ve noticed a few of these familiar things in my journey so far. Allow me to elaborate:
1. This picture.
Ekman’s six universal facial expressions. Because Paul Ekman is king. (https://genevievewanucha.com/2015/06/26/whats-in-a-word/)
2. And probably this picture.
Or a more/less complicated version of it. Actually, a comm major’s life consists mostly of diagrams. (http://www.project-management-skills.com/definition-of-communication.html)
3. “Oh you’re studying communications! You must like talking a lot!”
Well, no. Not really. *uses the fish in water analogy excessively*
4. “What exactly is communications?”
“What ISN’T communication? It’s math. It’s science. It’s language. It’s ART”
5. Research on research on research.
Comm is a great major, but you’re not going to miss all those readers full of studies or those comm research methods classes.
6. Taking Interpersonal Communication and finally realizing why your last relationship went wrong.
“Oh now I get it…the costs were greater than the rewards, and there was very little self-disclosure.”
7. “You’re such a good listener!”
Perk of being a comm major: You learn how to listen to people reaaaally well. We know that there’s a step-by-step GUIDE to listening.
8. Being totally prepared for any job interview.
Definitely true. You know how to persuade people and put yourself out there by using things like the color your wear or the strength of your handshake.
9. “What do you want to do with that?”
Sure, this is a question most college students are faced with. But what DON’T you want to do with comm?
11. Analyzing all of your current relationships and driving everyone crazy doing it.
Or analyzing other people’s relationships for them. They LOVE that. (That’s sarcasm, which is hard to communicate in written text.)
12. Being way more clever on social media than anyone else.
Your social media courses have taught you well. You know that people don’t want to see a status saying you ate a grilled cheese sandwich at 2:25pm, but you can whip out a snappy status like the best of them. In fact, comm people know their way around most social media sites and they’re great at marketing themselves.
13. “You know that feeling when someone stands too close to you on the elevator…”
Yes. That’s called the Expectancy Violations Theory. Seriously. There’s a theory for everything. *person backs away from you slowly*
14. Finding out your conflict style.
Are you an aggressive shark or an accommodating teddy bear?
15. Watching an episode of Seinfeld in at least one comm class.
Or Gilmore Girls. Or Friends. If it was a 90s sitcom, you probably watched it.
16. Ekman is life.
Ekman is king.
17. “92% of communication is nonverbal.”
…maybe? Mehrabian is a pretty smart guy, but some comm people aren’t so sure about this one. Whatever the case, you’re gonna hear this a lot.
18. Using more math than you thought you would.
Remember when you learned about standard deviations in eleventh grade? Yeah, you’ll need that.
20. And last of all, not wanting to trade your major for the world.
It’s not just the major. It’s the people you meet. It’s the lessons you learn and the opportunities you have. It’s finding more out about yourself. Or, as Pocahontas once said, it’s learning “things you never knew you never knew.”